Power strips & space heaters

The Baker Fire Dept. would like to remind the public to be careful with power strips and space heaters. As the temperature drops you will feel the need to crank up the heat.

You should never plug a space heater into a power strip, these units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow. Make sure to always plug directly into the wall outlet and never use extension cords. A heater must have at least a minimum of three feet of space around the heater. With the holiday season upon us, never overload electrical outlets when putting up Christmas lights and christmas tree lights. Nearly half of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and Febuary, the NFPA said, space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for two of every five home heating fires.

The Baker Fire Department wants everyone to have a safe and happy holiday.

      



Add Comment