~ Plan On It ~

Board Members needed on many boards

Submitted By Mary Grube, Planning Department

The City of Baker is looking for volunteers for the Consolidated Planning Board, The Board of Adjustment and the City of Baker Zoning Commission. The hard work and commitment made by individuals of the public is greatly appreciated in allowing for the Planning processes that are in place. This is an opportunity to be a part of the growth of the City of Baker and the zoning process.

The Planning Board is required to meet according to state statute quarterly, in the months of January, April, July, and October. There may be other times the board would be required to meet for any subdivisions, lakes shore items, update of regulations due to statutory changes, and update of the growth policy. There is one opening on this board that needs to be filled. This is a 9-member County Board, with representation from the Town of Plevna and the City of Baker.

The City of Baker Zoning Commission meets on an as needed basis. The purpose of the Zoning Commission is to handle zone change requests, requests to amend the zoning regulations, and changing zoning boundaries. These meetings more often than not require a public hearing to be held for input. The Zoning Commission is a 5-member board, and has one opening.

The City of Baker Board of Adjustment meets on an as needed basis as well. The Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial board and has the powers to hear and decide appeals, special exceptions to the terms of the zoning ordinance, authorize upon appeal in specific cases such as variances from the terms of the ordinance, etc. This is a 7-member board. There are three openings on this board. The difference between this board and the other boards is the fact that a 4-member vote must take place to render a decision. The decision is final, and the only way to have the decision overturned is to appeal to district court.

On paper, it seems that I’m relentless in requesting volunteers, and it comes out every so often that we are still in need of board members. I hope that as you read this you will sway toward the idea of being a part of the due process that takes place within the local government. If you live within the City limits, and you would like to get involved, please stop by the Planning Department to see which board might interest you. These processes are in place to allow each property owner their entitlement to due process, and without volunteers such as the citizens in Baker, Mont, the process will not work. Please contact me at 406-778-7111 or send a letter of interest to P.O. Box 1134, Baker, MT, 59313 Attention: Mary Grube. I can also be contacted via email grubem@falloncounty.net. I look forward to hearing from you! It not only supports the people you’ve elected; it also helps the public to have a voice. Join me in watching government in action!