The former home of the Fallon County Times is leaving for its new location at the Baker Cement Plant north of the tracks. It was built in 1913 by L. A. Conser, attorney and publisher, to house the Baker Sentinel, the first newspaper in the community. In 1927 Conser moved his shop to a building south of the Baker Hotel and sold the property to K.R. Pleissner.
By Sherry Vogel
Pleissner, who had purchased the year old Baker Fallonite from Butte Tipton in1917, changed the name to the Fallon County Times and had operated it for ten years in the Silvernagle building. The Pleissners bought out the Sentinel and continued to operate the Fallon County Times until they sold to L.K.Lathrop in 1952.
Margaret Lathrop continued to publish the Fallon County Times after her husband, L.K., passed away in 1957. When the new Post Office was completed in 1962, it moved out of the Grant building (present office of the Fallon County Times).
Now, Mr. Bud Price was looking to build a new hardware store next to his dad’s original store. (Old white clapboard building town down in 2014, between the Insurance Store and the Prairie Rose Classics building.) So he purchased the newly vacant building from Mr. Grant. Mr. Price then went across the street and approached Mrs. Lathrop with a proposal to “trade” the Grant building on its lot for the old Times building and the lot it was sitting on. She happily accepted the offer because the Grant building was a newer and better building than the Times. After the printing presses were moved across the street, the Prices had the old Times building moved off the lot. The stately old clapboard building came to rest at the Baker Cement Plant north of town. It was used as storage until 2014 when it was torn down.