Grades three through six left for Mount Rushmore May 23. While there they took a tour of the National Park and had a great time.
By Layne Silver-Farris
Some facts about Mount Rushmore:
• Mount Rushmore National Memorial is a massive sculpture carved into a mountain in the Black Hills region of South Dakota.
• It was completed under the direction of Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum from 1927-1941.
• The sculpture is roughly 60 feet high, the granite faces depict U.S. Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
• Borglum created Mount Rushmore to commemorate America’s first 150 years as a free country.
• In his own words, Gutzon Borglum states that the four Mount Rushmore Presidents were chosen to “commemorate the founding, growth, preservation, and development to the United States of America”.