Here’s what you need to know to choose foot-friendly shoes.
By Sherry Vogel
To get the right fit:
* Try on shoes in the afternoon or evening. Feet swell throughout the day and can be half to a full size larger in the evening than in the morning.
* If your feet are different sizes, buy to fit the larger one.
* Have at least 5/8” between your longest toe and the shoe.
* Test walk shoes on hard surfaces rather than padded floors.
* Don’t be tied to a particular size. Shoe sizes vary by brand and feet continue to grow as we age – as much as half a shoe size a decade past our 40s.
(* Main points derived from an article published by the Arthritis Foundation.)