Legal Tip of the Week


that a creditor with a judgment against you can take your income tax refund if you put it into an account? This applies to accounts in any financial institution, like a bank or credit union. This applies to any creditor that is not the government. The State of Montana or federal government can take your tax refund as payment for a debt even if you don’t put it in an account.

   For more information, please visit the Money Problems sections of If you can’t find the information you want, click on the LiveHelp button or call the Montana Legal Services Association HelpLine at 1-800-666-6899.