Baker and Plevna Schools are tobacco free
Comprehensive Tobacco-Free School Policies protect everyone from health risks associated with tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure and are an important factor in decreasing youth tobacco use.
Montana law prohibits anyone from using tobacco products in a public school building or on any public school property at any time.
• Passed by the Montana legislature as part of the 2005 Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA).
• Tobacco products include, but are not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, smokeless tobacco, or any other tobacco or nicotine innovation.
• The law applies to students, faculty, administrators, as well as janitors, parents, school board members, sports fans, alumni, guests – anyone entering school property at any time.
• School property includes “public school building or public school property” means any public land, fixtures, buildings, or other property owned, occupied or maintained under the laws of the state of Montana at public expense; and includes school playgrounds, school steps, parking lots, administration buildings, athletic facilities, gymnasiums, locker rooms, and school vehicles.
• School administrators and/or principals (or their designees) have the authority to enforce this law.
• Violators who smoke or use other tobacco products on school property can be fined between $25 and $100 (CIAA-Chap. 40 50-40-115).
The law provides two exceptions:
• Tobacco products are permitted on school property if they are part of a teacher or administration sanctioned educational forum, lecture or demonstration lesson about the risks of tobacco use.
• Tobacco products are permitted on school property if they are used as part of an American Indian culture activity in accordance with the American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978.
If you or someone you know is wanting to quit using tobacco, the Montana Quit Line 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) or www.QuitNowMontana.com, can help. The Montana Quit Line hours are seven days a week: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. MST. The Quit Line has a 24 hour voicemail, so callers can leave a message. They will call you back.