In the early years of the 20th century, southeastern Montana was being homesteaded. The area of Plevna was settled by German-Russians, many of whom came from South Dakota. They had helped their friends and family who homesteaded there, and then moved to the Plevna area to settle on land of their own.
By Laurie MacKay
As their ancestors had done, they brought the church beliefs with them and so was the beginnings of the Lutheran Church in Plevna. Pastors traveled from Scranton, ND for services to administer the sacraments in local homes. In 1914 on April 26, the Peace Lutheran congregation was officially organized and after meeting in a school house for one year, the church building was constructed.
Membership fluctuated from 117 in 1917 to 56 in 1923 when many families realized they could not live on a half section of land. In the 1940s, membership grew again and it became evident the church building was too small. It was rebuilt, adding a new basement and lengthened to almost twice its original size. The new church was dedicated July 6, 1952.
Peace Lutheran Church is planning a 100 year anniversary celebration Sunday,